It’s been 14 years since we started enjoying the Transformers movies. During that time, we’ve gone through quite a bit of cast changes, and we’ve gone through the timeline from top to bottom. Nonetheless, we’re here and we’re going to figure out what options we have for watching the Transformers movies in order.
The Transformers franchise began in the 1980s and features a number of animated series, games, comics, toys, and movies. The film series began in 2007 with Michael Bay at the helm.
Over the years, the films have become extremely popular. Putting $ 1 billion in production for all movies turned into a whopping $ 4.8 billion at the box office. While movie critics aren’t big fans of the franchise, it’s clear audiences don’t really care and go to the movies anyway.
The cast of the films have over the years included names like Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Megan Fox, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Tyrese Gibson, Jon Voight, Mark Wahlberg, Nicola Peltz, Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, Peter Cullen, Dylan O ‘Brien, Tony Todd, Hugo Weaving and others.
Michael Bay directed the first five films, while Travis Knight faced off against Bumblebee.
So, in what order to watch the Transformers movies? Let’s see!
How to watch Transformers movies in order of release date?
If you are going to watch the Transformers movies by release date, then you really have only one path here:
- Transformers (2007)
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
- Transformers: Darkness of the Moon (2011)
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
- Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
- Bumblebee (2018)
Things are pretty straightforward here, as you can watch the movies in the order the rest of the world did as they were released, and how you probably watched them too. If you’ve just gotten into the franchise, there’s another way to look at it as well.
How to watch the Transformers movies in chronological order?
Next, we’re going to list the Transformers movies in chronological order of their plotlines. In fact, we recommend that you go this route as it can make it easier to understand the actual order of the various plot elements.
- Bumblebee – takes place in 1987
- Transformers – takes place in 2007
- Transformers: Revenge – takes place in 2009
- Transformers: The Dark Side of the Moon – takes place in 2012
- The Transformers: Age of Extinction – takes place in 2017
- Transformers – The Last Knight – takes place in 2018
Basically you really want to start with Bumblebee, because it tells the story of how the Autobot ended up on Earth.
It looks like we’ll be seeing a sequel to the Bumblebee movie in 2022. Additionally, a sequel to The Last Knight was also under discussion – but following the poor reception of the fifth movie, it’s unclear when it will be released.
Additionally, in the summer of 2022, the movie Transformers: Beast Wars was announced. Given the pandemic, it remains to be seen whether the schedule will now be met.
Where to watch the Transformers movies?
Watching the Transformers movies will make you jump from one platform to another. Let’s see where you can stream the movies right now:
- Transformers – TNT and TBS (requires connection with the television provider)
- Transformers: Revenge – SyFy and fuboTV (requires subscription)
- Transformers: The Dark Side of the Moon – Hulu, epix, Amazon Prime (requires subscription)
- The Transformers: Age of Extinction – fuboTV (requires subscription)
- Transformers: The Last Knight – SyFy (requires subscription)
- Bumblebee – Hulu, epix, Amazon Prime (requires subscription)